To kick of Blogtober, we have put together 31 top tips for blogging and social media for the beginners and the OG’s of the blogging community. No, you don’t have to do everything on the list to grow your presence, but it’s something to keep in mind, especially you plan to become a full-time blogger. Many of these tips are for the beginners who have yet to grow a following, but hopefully it will benefit everyone. Enjoy!
1. The quickest way to raise your Domain Authority is to go self-hosted
2. Join twitter and follow these RT Twitter accounts* to get your blog posts shared
3. Pinterest is basically a search engine. Increase your blog views using Pinterest
4. Build an email list by offering your readers something in return e.g. a free printable
5. Always add links to relevant old posts in your new blog posts. Deeplinking is a fabulous to keep readers reading and improving your DA
6. Don’t ignore old blog posts – update them and keep promoting them on social media.
7. Add a call-to action at the end of every blog post. Make people want to comment. Ask a question. Ask readers for their opinion.
8. Posting once a week and sticking with it, will always be better than posting 3 times in a week and then pausing due to lack of ideas.
9. If you are leaving a comment on social media or blog post – keep it relevant.
10. If you are approaching a brand for a collab on Twitter, follow instructions correctly.
11. Running out of blog ideas? Turn to your audience and ask them what they want.
12. Don’t rely on just one social media platform to promote your blog. consider a newsletter for your die-hard fans.
13. Tweets with pictures are 33% more likely to be retweeted.
14. Provide a point of contact, preferably your email, on all your social media accounts. Make it easy for people to contact you.
15. Don’t be discouraged if people unfollow you on social media. See it as them doing you favour – you can really be sure that your remaining followers are your true target audience
16. Title your pictures before uploading them to your blog and don’t forget to set an ALT tag as well
17. At the end of each month, check for broken links in your blog posts. This helps keep your DA up.
18. Always reply to comments left on your blog. Interact with your readers. It helps to build loyalty and brings your readers closer.
19. Add your social media handles to your blog email signature
20. Check how your blog looks like on your mobile device. How long does it take to load? What can be changed? Do not assume that everyone is reading from a desktop.
21. Invest in your blog if you plan to do it full-time and earn money from it. You’ve got to spend money to make money.
22. When creating a graphic to share on Pinterest, vertical is always best. Keep the colours consistent with your blog brand, so people recognise that it’s you.
23. Examine your posts on a monthly basis to see which ones are the most/least popular and generate lots of interaction. Then act accordingly. Promote posts with the least views and write similar posts to the ones that generate lots of views.
24. Think about the readability of your blog. Is text too small? what about the colours? Is text lumped together in one great chunk?
25. Make it easy for people to comment on your blog. It’s off putting when people have to sign in and provide a thesis with the correct Harvard referencing to leave a comment.
26. Don’t be afraid to promote the same blog post more than once. Promote it at least 3 times a day for a week and then move on to the next post.
27. Leaving relevant comments on other blogs and guest posting on similar blogs is a great way to build authentic backlinks to your blog.
28. Once you have built a loyal following on social media, put together a media kit
29. Don’t get caught up in writing about trending topics only. Keep in mind why you started blogging in the first place. This is your space and you are free to write about what you want.
30. Make sure that your posts are share-able by your readers
31. Most importantly, have fun with your blog. enjoy the little online space you have created
What do you think of these 31 top tips for blogging and social media? Did we leave anything out? Let us know below!
*Remember to follow and tag us on Twitter in your Blogtober posts. We want to read and share them!